Gangs Of New York (2002) ***

I saw Gangs Of New York (2002) three times during its original theatrical run. Three times. I can't say that about many films. I can think of a few films that I've seen twice in the theater - Eyes Wide Shut (1999), There Will Be Blood (2007) (another fantastic DDL starrer), Sin City (2005), Batman Begins (2005) all spring to mind - but not three.

Daniel Day Lewis' performance is still the best part of this film. I used to think the weakest part of this film was the casting of Cameron Diaz. Upon this, I believe my sixth (!) viewing of this film, she doesn't bother me so much. But the film as a whole just doesn't grab me like it used to.

9 years ago I probably would have given GONY four stars. It still earns its three, but doesn't quite deserve another 1/2 star. There's much to appreciate here, but Marty has made many masterpieces and this isn't one of them.

Comments