Nina Simone "Nina Simone Sings The Blues" (1967)

This is a blues album. And I love that most of the songs don't necessarily rely on the "standard blues guitar riff".

"Do I Move You?" has more swagger than most musicians would know what to do with. "My Man's Gone Now" (from the Gershwin opera Porgy & Bess), somewhat of a jazz/blues hybrid, has so much effortless heart and soul that it puts so many saccharine, forced, wannabe "blues" songs to shame. "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl" (based on a Bessie Smith tune) is the perfect song for sitting in the shade on a hot lazy summer day. "Since I Fell For You" is sexy, languid and sublime. The sped-up version of the folk standard "The House Of The Rising Sun" peps up the album a bit.

I can never get enough Nina.

*Thanks to Iris for encouraging me to buy After Hours (1995), thus beginning my love for Simone.

Comments