Broken Flowers (2005) ***1/2

I finally got around to seeing this. I think I avoided it for a long time because I figured it was going to be another LOST IN TRANSLATION (based on the bland advertising), but it's not. The tone is different (it definitely feels like a Jarmusch film) and it's funnier (and better).

I was worried about Murray just doing his "older Bill Murray emotionless except for extremely subtle facial expressions" thing and he does, but I wasn't bothered by it. But it's actually the other characters (and actors) that interested me more - Jeffrey Wright steals the scenes that he's in, Christopher McDonald is hilarious, Sharon Stone is great, Alexis Dziena is just...wow, and Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange and Tilda Swinton all round out the film nicely. Very pleasantly surprised.

Comments