Queens Of The Stone Age "Villains" (2017) ***1/2

I was re-reading my review of the previous QOTSA LP, ...Like Clockworkhere and remembered how it seemed that a lot of fans were let down by that album. Well, I think Villains (2017) is the album that is really going to alienate fans, split camps, and I don't think Josh Homme really cares.

Of course, as many were, I was wary of the fact that Mark Ronson produced this album and the first single, "The Way You Used To Do" didn't do a whole lot for me (it's still my least favorite track but works within the context of the album).

As a QOTSA album, it's definitely their cleanest, slickest sounding LP (and my least favorite of theirs) and I'm a bit adverse to the sound. But I've listened to it a bunch of times through now and I like it, honestly. I kind of see it as a spiritual cousin to 2007's Era Vulgaris (which is definitely much better), but pushed much more in the pop direction.

Comments