The Soundtrack Of Our Lives

The following is a comment (slightly amended) that I left in response to a blog post by horror film shirt-makers Fright-Rags. I thought I'd post it here as well.

This is just what springs to mind at the moment. I guess my list is less about very specific memories overall and more about landmarks in my life.

The Cure Disintegration (1989) & Mixed Up (1990)
What I would play while making love with my first girlfriend, who was also my first love.

One of the many CDs I would play on my car stereo at night as a teenager while causing trouble with my friends around our home towns. I bought this album simply because I liked the cover, a risk I never take anymore.

Michael Jackson Thriller (1982) & various "Weird Al" Yankovic albums
I used to play these on cassette on my rad silver boombox in the mid ‘80s. I miss that boombox dearly. Thriller is also one of only two albums that I've owned on cassette, vinyl and CD; the other is the B-52's first album.

Bands that my cousin Bryan got me into, primarily by giving me his old cassettes. Helped to diversify my musical tastes.

I bought the I Care Because You Do and Maxinquaye CDs in 1995 (both released that year) from BMG because they were in my catalog under "Electronic" music. I don't even know why I bought them, but I remember when I got them that I had never heard music like this before and that my musical tastes would forever be changed.

The first vinyl record that I ever bought, which I got from a music store on the Hampton Beach strip. Later on in life, I would come to realize that the owner of the store where I bought that record, along with many bootlegs, posters, etc., was a customer of mine, when I worked for Newbury Comics. Circle of life.

Another album I bought from the Hampton Beach store and a band that became very important to me, and still is. This is the first album that I bought by Fugazi and is still my favorite album by them.

They just make me think of summer in general and also of driving. I recently got to see them live with my mother, which was special since the reason I love The Cars so much is because my Mum played them a lot when I was young. The show was great and they are still awesome - I like the new album a lot!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention. You have introduced me to a bevy of musicas well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BMcG -

    "Bevy of musicas" is a great expression!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment