Susan Carmella Sardella "Nana" (08/05/26 - 11/11/11)


My grandmother ("Nana") passed away early this morning.
She was 85.
She was married to Stephen Joseph Sardella (another amazing human being) for 58 years.

I'm not sure if there is any significance to the fact that today is Veteran's Day and my grandfather ("Da"), who passed away at 89 in 2007, was a WWII veteran or that today is 11/11/11, but I mention these things anyway.

Nana loved to cook Italian food and desserts, to paint and wood-carve, to roller skate, to play the mandolin, to sing and to travel, which my grandparents did for 20 years, visiting 70 countries!
She worked for many years as an assistant librarian in the children's section of the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library in Wakefield, MA, where she lived for over 60 years.


She loved her family enormously and they loved her the same.

From left: Steven Sardella, Susan Sardella, Susan Sardella ("Nana"), Stephen Sardella ("Da"), Sharon Sardella ("Mum"), Stephanie Sardella

Top from left (with relation to me): Kevin Parshley (stepfather), AJ McQuade (cousin), Cameron McQuade (cousin), Michael McQuade (uncle), Victoria Hogan (friend), Fred Dufault (aunt Sue's beau); Middle from left: Bryan McGrath (cousin), Steven Sardella (uncle), Stephanie McQuade (aunt); Bottom from left: Sharonah Sardella (mother), Susan Fraser (aunt), Daniel Sardella (me), Susan Sardella (grandmother)

One of my tattoos, a tribute to my grandparents and their love of roller skating.
I played my Nana's mandolin on this track, "Cocoa Serenade", by my band The Fitted Shirt.

One of Nana's favorite songs, "Innamorata", by her favorite singer Jerry Vale (recorded the year that my mother was born and written by the criminally under-appreciated and prolific Harry Warren).

Comments

  1. Victoria11/11/2011

    She was an amazing, talented, interesting and beautiful woman. She cultivated a wonderful, loving family and the world was lucky to have her. She certainly touched my life and I'll never forget sitting and talking with her. What a lovely soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Sue11/11/2011

    What a beautiful tribute, Dan. Thank you for putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Dan! That Jerry Vale song made me cry. I just listened to it with her last month and we were singing together. Sniff, sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to rate Nanny, it would be *****!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/13/2011

    Sister Chickie said:

    Great tribute Danny! She was a talented star.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment