The Master (2012) ****1/2

From what I hear (I've avoided reviews) The Master (2012) has been dividing critics and fans.
I would agree, it seems this could be the PTA film to most divide his audience.
Unlike There Will Be Blood (2007), The Master didn't give me that instant-the-film-ends-holy-shit-that-was-amazing feeling, but it also has a more subtle ending. I don't feel that I've fully processed this one yet, but it bears the mark of an excellent film - I already want to see it again.

The Master most closely resembles TWBB, among the PTA canon, but feels less easily digestible. Anderson is still wading in Kubrick waters, but doing so swimmingly (pardon the pun). I'm not ready yet to say much more on the blog; another viewing feels necessary. But I will say that this film demands immediate discussion and leaves one pondering about the significance of what was included and what was left up to the viewer. Also, it looked gorgeous in 70 mm.

Comments