It (2017) ****

I'm going to tip my hat to my friend Brian and agree that It (2017) was A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) meets Stand By Me (1986). I've never read the novel and have only seen the 1990 film once, as recently as 2015 (and merely thought it was decent), so I can't comment on faithfulness as an adaptation, but as a horror movie with heart, this one is a winner.

As a child of the 80s, I certainly felt a pang of nostalgia and It hit all the appropriate beats nicely, despite some bunk CGI and a few shaky cam scenes. Minor quibbles really and hopefully this one will stand the test of time. The character moments meant the most to me and not the jump scares (although those were good too). Also, this film is pretty funny.

I saw some young teenagers in the audience and they were excitedly chattering about the film after it finished. This is exactly the kind of film I would have been extra thrilled with at that age, the kind that hits you at just the right time in your life to leave a mark.


P.S. I wasn't expecting that Cure song (something from Disintegration would have been more fitting, given that the bulk of the film takes place in 1989), but it was still a nice addition.

Comments