A Perfect Circle "Eat The Elephant" (2018) ***1/2

When I first heard a couple of the singles from A Perfect Circle's new LP, Eat The Elephant (2018), ahead of its release, I really wasn't too into them. The first time I listened to the album all the way through I wasn't really sure how I felt either. But like the most interesting albums by bands that I respect, the challenge paid off. With each listen through, my appreciation for their departure in sound grew. Granted, there are songs that sound like the band and would sit right at home on some previous LPs, but for the most part, ETE is largely piano (instead of guitar) driven, the songs are "mellower" as a whole, and the lyrics are overall "hopeful." Initially, this approach came off as a bit saccharine to me and while I still can't claim to love every choice on Elephant, I can say that it's a grower if you give it a chance. I still think the cover art is silly though.

Comments