Monster Dog (1984) **1/2

I first saw Monster Dog (1984) in the late 90s when my friend Kevin gifted me a VHS copy of the film. I think we watched it once or twice and it was good for a laugh but when I watched it again in 2017, after it had been released on Blu-ray, I had all but forgotten it.

Probably with good reason because it's filled to the brim with every horror trope imaginable, along with laughable dialogue, unintentionally funny performances, and incredibly poor editing.

It does its fair share of ripping off An American Werewolf In London (1981) throughout and it takes a brief inexplicable detour to try its hand at becoming a siege film, a la Straw Dogs (1971). Attempts at atmosphere and suspense come off half-baked every time. Alice Cooper remains a solid presence (the film would be worse without him) amidst a cast of particularly unexceptional actors, all badly dubbed.

Monster Dog is undoubtedly a dog of a film but it's still entertaining and its "theme" song, "Identity Crisises", is a killer track.

Comments