Sightseers (2012) ***1/2

Sightseers (2012), Ben Wheatley's serial killer black comedy, is a hilarious and gruesome tale of a road trip gone wrong. Co-writers and stars Alice Lowe and Steve Oram perfectly portray a seemingly normal couple on a caravan holiday who end up being a lot more mentally unstable than they appear. I found the whole film very entertaining and the central couple always engaging.

I've only seen two other films by Wheatley, Kill List (2011) and A Field In England (2013). The former is a ultra-serious and brutal crime drama and the latter is a trippy and surreal war piece, so it's refreshing to see that he can handle a comedy just as well. Sightseers very much bears its director's stamp and watching it reminded me that I really need to get around to seing High-Rise (2015) and Free Fire (2016), both of which I've been meaning to watch since they were released.

Comments