Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) ***1/2

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) has so much potential.  There are so many great moments, but so many bad, cheesy ones as well.

The first film (which I love) is kind of the same, though most of the weak moments are within the film's last 10 minutes. Hellbound has an excellent first half, and then a very mixed second half. I think a lot of horror fans hold this one up a little too high. I was hesitant to even give it the extra half star, but overall it deserves it.

I know a remake has been in the works for some time (supposedly with Clive Barker's involvement at one point), but it's been stagnant for just as long now. I truly think that if handled correctly and not CGI'd to hell (bad pun) that a remake/re-imagining/whatever could be really great for this series, particularly since most of the sequels are pretty bad (from what I hear—I only own and have seen the first three).

"They promise forever and never deliver."

"Nothing personal, babe."

"The doctor...is in."

Comments