Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) ***

I'm having a hard time even giving Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) ***. I'm also having a hard time wondering why this film is being praised so highly. I guess I can sort of admit that I just didn't "get it". I went into this film only with the knowledge that Gary Oldman was in it, that it was directed by Tomas Alfredson, and that it was about spies. That was enough for me. I had no idea that John Hurt, Ciarán Hinds, and Tom Hardy, all actors that I enjoy, were in it.

I like slow burn films. I don't need lots of action in a film to enjoy it. I don't even necessarily need lots of dialogue either. But there was almost NO action in this film and the majority of the dialogue was just not interesting. I also felt like I paid attention throughout and I still didn't understand exactly what happened to these characters, and why, nor did I really care. There is a lot of intelligence jargon going on. I honestly found this film to be a snoozefest.

I'm disappointed. I absolutely loved Alfredson's Let The Right One In. Both that film and this film are based on novels; in the case of TTSS, on a John le Carré novel, who actually worked for British intelligence agencies.

I didn't think Gary Oldman's performance was anything special. Hell, I didn't think any of the performances were anything special. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think that this film was "bad", just very overhyped. I'm giving this film *** merely because I recognize that it is well made, serviceably acted, and does have a few (as in actually, maybe three) great moments, and also because I feel that maybe a rewatch could leave me more satisfied. My actual rating, based on my first reaction, would have been closer to ** or **1/2.

Comments

  1. Nick Savage12/31/2011

    I haven't seen this flick, or read the book, but I did read Le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and I dug it. It's definitely not James Bond -- sometimes you wonder what's even at stake. Le Carre stuff seems like it's the most understated game of cat and mouse you can get, but I guess that's about as realistic as you can get. The film is hyped because people like LeCarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,

    Sounds about right.
    I don't know, maybe the book TTSS is great, but the film did almost nothing for me.
    I'm interested in seeing the film of The Spy Who Came In...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,

    It might be worth seeing if you can track down the original BBC miniseries starring Alec Guinness to see if you prefer its approach to the material, though be warned that it's even more of a slow-burner.

    Having now seen both versions, I'm anxious to revisit the Oldman version before I commit to a final rating for it. As it stands, it seems likely to find its way into my Top 10 of 2011 almost be default (given that 2011 has been a fairly underwhelming year for movies in my opinion), but a rewatch will hopefully clarify precisely where it belongs in the list.

    For what it's worth, I thought it was very nicely shot, well acted... basically one of those "well-made films". But I won't dispute the notion that at times it's like watching paint dry. The biggest problem, for me, was that we got to learn so much about the various suspects that, even when the mole was revealed, it made no real distance. Substitute Character A with Character B or C and the effect would still be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MM,

    I'd be interested in seeing the series w/ Guinness, as I'm one of those people that actually enjoys films that he's been in besides Star Wars.

    I would agree that it's been a somewhat underwhelming film year for me (although there were a few excellent films), but a great music year, so much so that I made a Top 20 Albums, instead of my usual 10.

    Your last paragraph is well put.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing to bear in mind about that mini-series is that the version on DVD in the US is edited, compressing the original seven episodes into six and both cutting and reordering certain material.

    BTW, in my previous comment, "learn so much about the various suspects" should read "learn so LITTLE about the various suspects".

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lurker posts...

    The original BBC series is amazing. It is still in my mind one of the finest dramas and one of the finest adaptations around. It really shows up the film version as inferior and pandering to new tropes, but as Michael says, it makes the film seem action packed and dumbed down. It really is a slow burner,, intellectual intricate and to be savoured like port and a fine cigar!

    The book is of course even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mark.

    I'll have to get around to seeing the BBC series eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment