The Black Keys "El Camino" (2011) ****

I don't really care that this band has strayed from their original, raw, blues-heavy sound. I've heard and have all the previous albums and I like them all, particularly Magic PotionBut I would have gotten bored, sticking with that style, after 4 albums too. Unlike a band such as, say, Kings Of Leon, whose sound became bland, unoriginal and, in particular, unexciting, The Black Keys have incorporated elements into their sound, which I feel have strengthened it on all counts. TBK's musical evolution reminds me of that of My Morning Jacket or Rilo Kiley (I think I'm one of the minority of fans of RK's original sound that loved their final LP).

Brothers was a fantastic album, critically and commercially successful and musically fun and interesting. El Camino is a continuation of the "new" style and while not as strong as the last album, it's very very good. A lot of standout tracks. Actually there's not really a bad track on the LP.

I'm not much of a Danger Mouse follower, but I've come to realize that I like a lot of albums that he has partially or fully produced, including: Gorillaz' Demon Days, Beck's Modern Guilt, the Rome collaboration with Daniele Luppi and The Black Keys' most recent 3 albums Attack & Release, Brothers and now El Camino.

Comments