Scanners (1981) ***1/2

I like this film a lot, but I feel as if I'm forgiving of aspects that I would find obnoxious if it weren't a Cronenberg film. I certainly rank some of his films above it, but there is a definite charm, iconography and staying power about it, despite some atrocious wooden, soap operatic acting from its lead Stephen Lack ("lacking", for sure), poor pacing and no true surprises. And, gorehound I may be, I actually find the phone booth scene the most thrilling, ingenious and ahead-of-its-time aspect of the whole film.

Scanners (1981) has more than a few things in common with De Palma's The Fury (released 3 years earlier in 1978), including a head explosion (and The Fury's is more climatic and better, if you ask me) and both of them are flawed films, but I like The Fury a bit better overall. All that said, this one is fun, is definitely "Cronenbergian," and it features a typically excellent score from Howard Shore and great special f/x from Dick Smith (The Exorcist) and Chris Walas (The Fly).

Comments