Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018) ****1/2

I can't remember the last time that I teared up so much during a film. Like a lot of children, I grew up with Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (1968–2001). It's not until you watch a documentary like Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018) that you realize (or are reminded) how much of an impact that that show and Fred Rogers had on society.

I don't necessarily agree with the opinion he had on every topic and I am not a religious person but I do believe in The Golden Rule and I think this was central to Rogers' teachings. He believed in giving children confidence to be themselves, exactly as they are. But also to face their fears and not be afraid to talk about them. He addressed topical subjects in ways that still ring true today. Despite what some jaded people might try to project on Fred Rogers, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believed that he was the real deal—a truly good person who cared about the well being of all people. He wanted to make the world a better, kinder place and I think that for a lot of us he did and continues to inspire.

143

Comments