2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) *****

There really is no other film like 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). No other film before and no other film since. And there really was no other filmmaker like Stanley Kubrick (my favorite director). Before or since. It's a film of impeccable style, grace, and patience, filled with gorgeous visuals, sumptuous and occasionally terrifying sounds, and ponderous and unnerving moments. It's a technical marvel, a masterpiece and the existential sci-fi film to end all existential sci-fi films—one that has sparked many theories. When I made the updated 2019 version of my Top 100 Films, I rightfully included 2001 on the list. It seems to get better with each viewing.

In 2018 I had the pleasure of seeing the film in a new 70 mm print. One day short of a year ago I watched the newly remastered Blu-ray, which was just as gorgeous. Since I bought a 4K OLED TV and a 4K Ultra HD player earlier this year, I have had the capability to watch the UHD disc and I finally got around to it. It's stunning and easily the best presentation of the film that I've ever experienced.



Comments