The Danman Top 100 Films (2019 Edition)

Five years ago, I created my Top 100 Films. The Blogpost for that 2014 edition is here. My Letterboxd list for the 2014 edition is here. Please see the link below, just before the pictures, for a Letterboxd listing of the titles in the 2019 edition.

I decided to task myself with reevaluating this list every five years, so here we are, five years to the day. I set basically the same criteria for myself as I did last time:

1. I had to currently own a physical copy of the film on Blu-ray or 4K UHD (in 2014 I still owned a decent amount of DVDs and included some in my Top 100, but not this time). Naturally, this means that there are films that are missing from the list that would have been included. The biggest omission I can think of is Blue Velvet (1986), which I did own previously but already sold back, in anticipation of The Criterion Collection (whose releases make up a healthy 30 spots in my Top 100) edition arriving in May of this year.

2. I tried to limit the number of titles I chose by the same director. Kubrick, as my favorite director, stole the top spot in that regard, with four titles. Not all of my Top 20 Directors made it into my Top 25, but they all made into the Top 100. A sub-criteria I made for myself in 2014, and followed again here, was to only include one title by any given director in my Top 10.

3. Re: the Top 25, I stuck with the criteria chosen last time with a slight change—which is to say that I listed my actual Top 25, but I decided to list titles 26–100 in alphabetical order.

Some observations on the 2019 edition of this list:

- The Top 7 titles remained exactly the same.
- The Top 25 didn't change too much. Some titles were dropped and added though. Some changed positions.
- The rest of the list didn't change too much either, but again, some titles were dropped and some were added.
- 27 of the titles in my Top 100 Films (2019 Edition) are in the (updated) 2007 edition of the AFI Top 100 Films (the impetus for my creating this list five years ago). At the moment I own 62 of the AFI Top 100 titles.
- It's fun to see which editions have remained the same and which have been upgraded. I always like to have the best available edition of films I choose to own (with picture and sound quality being the most important factor), but I still have yet to upgrade some titles to 4K (though I don't own a 4K TV or player just yet anyway—most likely happening later this year or in early 2020).

So, without further ado, I present to you The Danman Top 100 Films (2019 Edition)! For a listing of the titles in the 2019 edition, please visit my Letterboxd list here.

Comments