Contagion (2011) ****

I loved Contagion (2011) when it was originally released and I still love it now—apparently deciding it was a good idea to scare myself into accepting that a pandemic like the one that we are currently facing (COVID-19) could potentially turn out the way the one depicted in this film does (though, obviously, I certainly hope not).

Contagion is an incredibly realistic portrayal of the way in which a society, scientists and the government would and do react to the rapid spread of an infectious disease. I've seen numerous criticisms of the film point out that there are too many characters and that they are not given enough depth, but I don't think that's the point of Soderbergh's movie. Even though it's chock-full of big name movie stars, this isn't a film that is concerned with providing a narrative arc or memorable characters. No, what it wants to show you is how ordinary people, and those with more inside knowledge and power, act in the midst of a deadly virus.

Personally, and right now especially, as schools and businesses are closing, events are being cancelled or postponed, people are hoarding groceries, being encouraged to practice social distancing and the number of cases of coronavirus is increasing, I find Contagion to be a prescient and seriously frightening film. Through its cold presentation, unremarkable color scheme, simple camerawork, swift pacing, precise editing and especially aided by Cliff Martinez's pulsing electronic score, it retains a level of relatable and perceptible tension throughout.

You can find my Steven Soderbergh Feature Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Top 20 Directors list here.


Comments