Land Of The Dead - Unrated Version (2005) ***

I saw George A. Romero's biggest-budgeted "Dead" film, Land Of The Dead (2005), twice the day it was released to theaters. I took the day off to do this. I don't think I've ever seen another film twice in the same day, in the theater or at home. You have to remember that this was Romero's return to the zombie genre (which he grandfathered) after 20 years (and more than 10 years since I first saw his original "Dead" trilogy). I was excited. And I genuinely loved the film—it was one of my Top Films Of 2005.

After I saw the film twice in the cinema, I bought the Unrated DVD when it was released later that year, and watched and enjoyed the film again, with its extra gore and additional dialogue. I was amazed to see that that was the last time I had watched the film until now. I could have sworn I watched the film again sometime a few years later but my (meticulous) records show no log. 

In any case, I've cooled on the film quite a bit. I still think it's a good, solid entry in Romero's "Dead" series (loads better than the two films that followed it), but it doesn't hold a candle to the original trilogy. The name actors add a lot to the film, but the bigger budget doesn't always necessarily help it. A lot of times it just feels like a standard action film. There are jump scares that do nothing for me and some dodgy CGI that is fortunately kept to a minimum, in favor of KNB's excellent practical f/x. I find Eugene Clark's performance as Big Daddy a bit too over-the-top at times and I can't help wishing it was Day Of The Dead's (1985) Bub on screen instead. 

The story still feels relevant though, even if it is slightly on the nose—that of a walled-in human city where the rich and powerful reside in the luxurious high-rise known as Fiddler's Green while everyone else lives in squalor. Dennis Hopper playing a decidedly Trump-like figure was some serious foreshadowing. Mostly, aside from how well the film plays as it ages or how imperfect it is, I'm glad that Romero was able to realize his long-gestated, large-scale version of a zombie film and that it made some good box office. As usual, Romero delivered both social commentary and blood 'n' guts to satisfy the many facets of his fans.

You can find my George A. Romero Films Ranked list here.

Comments