Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) **1/2 [Freddython 2021 Pt. 8]

Following many years of development, Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) arrived nine years after the previous (non-canonical) NOES entry, New Nightmare (which saw Wes Craven return to the franchise), and two years after the previous Friday The 13th entry, Jason X (one dumb film). Chronologically, FVJ takes place after 1991's Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and 1993's Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday

I saw FVJ in the theater when it was released and I remember having a blast with it then—there was definitely a lot of buzz surrounding the film. I was in my early 20s at the time and I recall being very excited for it, to the point of wearing my Freddy glove and a fedora at the screening I attended. A co-worker of mine wore a Jason mask as well and it was fun to root for our "team." The film ended up being the highest grossing of either franchise. 

I've seen FVJ a number of times since then and it really shows its age now (it's such an early 2000s horror it hurts). Director Ronny Yu did a commendable job of blending the trademarks of each series but there's a lot of stuff I can't abide. Freddy's narration in the beginning, for one thing—it feels so unnecessary. Additionally, there is so much "characters thinking out loud" (i.e. instructing the audience) in this film, it's ridiculous. All of the CGI used in FVJ was obviously fake-looking and not great when it was released, and is just as lame now. The characters are all pretty bogus as well and the nu-metal soundtrack is insufferable. 

On the plus side, there are some good practical gore gags, some great stunt work, and solid camerawork. Freddy's makeup here is certainly better than the previous two Nightmare films. Robert Englund (in his final cinematic FK appearance to date) hams it up, per usual, but he's also a little nastier (Krueger really torments Voorhees) than he had been for some time, which contrasts nicely with some of goofier Freddy moments from previous entries. There's also a genuine attempt at a storyline that incorporates aspects of both franchises that works pretty well (in certain scenes anyway). 

Too often than not though, whether because of the look, the filmmaking style or the action, FVJ actually plays more like a lesser Halloween sequel than either of its own brethren. After rewatching all the NOES films for this 2021 Freddython (I still can't bring myself to revisit the abysmal 2010 remake just yet), FVJ  dropped a couple spots and in fact now ranks as my least favorite (again, not counting that aforementioned 2010 abomination). That said, even now I still get some laughs out of this film and I appreciate the effort that went into its making.

You can find my reviews of the NOES films herehereherehereherehere and here.

You can find my Nightmare On Elm Street Films Ranked list here.


*I love this variation of a poster created by Nathan Thomas Milliner and wish the actual movie was half as cool as where my imagination goes with this imagery.

Comments