Excision (2012) **** [Sundance 10th Anniversary Double Feature Pt. 1]

Ever since the first time I saw Richard Bates Jr.'s 2012 debut feature Excision I've loved it, and I love it still (it's one of my Top 10 Horror Films (1990–Current)). Between AnnaLynne McCord's fearless central performance, the supporting cast of cult cinema players including Traci Lords, John Waters, Malcolm McDowell, and Ray Wise, and the bold cinematography, this psychosexual tale of an awkward, sociopathic teen leaves a mark. 

But while the film has a deliciously dark sense of humor and undoubtably disturbing moments, its sole purpose isn't to shock. No, Excision has a pulsing, beating heart and cares deeply about its characters, Pauline and her dysfunctional family.

If you'd like to hear me talk in depth about the film, along with co-hosts Lee Howard and Michael Mackenzie, as a guest on an episode of the Movie Matters Podcast from 2014, you can do so here.

You can find my Richard Bates Jr. Feature Films Ranked list here.








Comments