The Goonies (1985) **1/2 [Spielberg-Scribed Double Feature Pt. 2]

Much like the other film in my double feature tonight (both from stories by Steven Spielberg), I didn't grow up with Richard Donner's The Goonies (1985). Just like Tobe Hooper's Poltergeist (1982) (review), I only saw The Goonies for the first time in my twenties (whereupon I thought it was merely "good enough"). I'm sure that if I had seen the film in the '80s, it would mean a whole lot more to me. I've seen it three times now, I believe, and I just can't get too into it. It's weird, because I'm from the generation that loves this film but I didn't see it at the right age.

As it is, there's some laughs and fun to be had but The Goonies is honestly a pretty haphazard, noisy film. I get that it was aimed at a young audience (and, man, does it feel like it was geared toward those with a short attention span) but it's such a sloppy film (and goofy as hell). While there are a few touching moments, I mostly find the characters to be varying degrees of annoying. The film is enjoyable, sure, but most of its ideas and imagery were better explored in the Indiana Jones series and Hook (1991) (review) (and lots of other '80s films).


Comments