The Wicker Man - The Final Cut (1973) ***1/2

1973's The Wicker Man has never been a film I've loved. I've seen it at least four times now (the theatrical version at least once, possibly twice, and The Final Cut three times; I can't recall if I've ever watched the Director's Cut). On this most recent viewing I definitely enjoyed it the most (the last time I watched it was seven years ago). I still feel its reputation belies the film to a certain degree (I don't think the ending is all that shocking and I don't find a single thing about the movie scary) but the songs are well done and memorable (🎶Corn rigs and barley rigs and corn rigs are bonnie🎶), the story is compelling enough, the society in the picture seems like it'd be fun, and something about TWM clearly warrants repeat viewings.
















Comments