It Follows (2014) ***1/2 [Body Horror By David Double Feature Pt. 1]

I’ve seen David Robert Mitchell's It Follows (2014) three times now (once in the theater and once on Blu-ray previously). I like the mood of the piece, the slow pace, and I love the score but I dislike that all the sex is so joyless (as are most of the characters). Also, while I appreciate ambiguous films, it bothers me a bit that literally nothing is explained in IF (other similar horror films have at least some sort of “rules”). That said, that quality (along with other anachronisms) does add to the dream-like tone. IF is an enjoyable indie scarer (with a great setup and a strong first half) but I can’t say I feel any different about the picture on this third viewing.

Recommended for fans of Halloween (1978) (review), A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) (review), Donnie Darko (2001) (review), and It (2017) (review).

Comments