The Danman Top 100 Films (2014 Edition)

After I (finally) finished watching all of the AFI Top 100 Films recently, I decided to take it upon myself to attempt the seemingly impossible task of creating my own top 100 films.

Picking out the 100 films was tough, but I set some criteria for myself:

1. I had to currently own the film. Naturally, this means that there are absolutely films that are missing from the list that would have been included (Double Indemnity (1944), Die Hard (1988) and Predator (1987) spring to mind, just off the top of my head), so substitutions were made. My reasons for not owning some of the films at the moment are varied and may include availability on Blu-ray.

2. I tried to limit the number of titles I chose by the same director. This was more difficult. Initially I thought that I should only include 1 title per director but that proved impossible (I mean, Kubrick, PTA, Wes Anderson, the Coen Bros., Spielberg - c'mon!). A sub-criteria I made for myself was to only include 1 title by any given director in my Top 10. So sacrifices had to be made.

3. I refrained from basing my inclusion of a title on my star rating alone. Many other criteria were considered, including influence, cultural significance, the number of times I've watched each film, nostalgia (you can tell I'm a child of the 80s - look at my Top 5 and the whole list in general!), etc.

The most difficult part of this project was numbering the titles. So what I decided to do after the Top 25 was to just list the titles in a completely arbitrary order. This saved me a lot of headache. So keep that in mind if titles with higher star ratings are lower on the list than ones with a higher rating and also remember that I don't focus on that as my top ranking method. What's important is that the titles are included.

Further, the most important thing to remember here is that this is my top 100, meaning I wasn't bound by anybody else's opinion. If I wanted to include "bad" films (and, oh did I) that was my right. And I tried to include many genres, but you'll probably notice (if you didn't know already) that I am a horror buff. So you'll see "classics" amidst schlock and that makes me happy.

So, without further ado, I present to you The Danman Top 100 Films!


Comments