The Thing (1982) *****

John Carpenter's best film, my favorite horror film and one of my top 5 films ever. Nearly everything about The Thing (1982) is perfect and it holds up on repeat viewings (and I've watched it many many times)—from Carpenter's expert direction to the bleakly comic dialogue to Dean Cundey's memorable cinematography to Ennio Morricone's sparse, cold score to Rob Bottin's gooey, unforgettable special effects (that hold up incredibly well to this day). Plus it has one of the all-time great endings.

The Thing looks the best it ever has on home video from Arrow Video's 4K scanned Blu-ray and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You can find my John Carpenter Films Ranked list here.








"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."



"You gotta be fucking kidding..."

"I mean it."


"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

"Yeah, FUCK you too!"

Comments