The Wedding Party (1969) **1/2

Shot in 1963, copyrighted in 1966 and not released until 1969, Brian De Palma's The Wedding Party presents a snapshot of the director still finding his voice, still obsessed with the French New Wave (before he turned to Hitchcock). I didn't know it until tonight, but De Palma actually shares the directorial credit with two other people for this film (one of whom never did another film and the other who did very little else), which makes sense because this really doesn't feel like it has his signature. I hate to use the word, but TWP has a "quirky" feel to it, the B&W cinematography is nice and there's some interesting use of overlapping sound, but there's not a lot of substance and Robert De Niro's role is quite minor, which is what I would consider this work as well. Worth a watch, to get a glimpse of early De Palma, but, much like Greetings (1968), I can't see myself returning to this particular film repeatedly.

You can find my Brian De Palma Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments