Deep Red - Original Version (1975) ****

The last time that I watched Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) (1975), last year, I watched the "Export Version" (105 mins, sometimes called the Theatrical Cut) and I noted that I prefer it over this, the "Original Version" (127 mins, sometimes called the Director's Cut). As I've mentioned before, I find that the Original Version is overlong and drags and I don't feel that the scenes that were dropped from the Export Version add any true substance to the film. It's also annoying that the additional scenes are only available in Italian—it's very jarring when the film bounces back and forth between English and Italian, particularly within dialogue by the same character in a single scene.

That aside, Deep Red holds up well on repeat viewings, due in large part to Goblin's fantastic and memorable score and a strong lead role played by David HemmingsDeep Red also marks the first time that Dario Argento had a decent female lead character, thanks to Daria Nicolodi, who holds her own and has good chemistry with Hemmings (and some very humorous scenes). Daria was romantically involved with Dario at the time of filming and would greatly influence his future works.

This film has always been my favorite giallo and I've written before that it ties for me as Argento's best film. Deep Red and Suspiria (1977) are just so different from each other that it's difficult to compare them, but having watched Suspiria twice last year as well, I've going to give it the edge, as of this writing, and swap it with Deep Red for top spot. Both films are in my Top 100 Films.

You can find my Dario Argento Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Giallo Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments