The Nightingale (2018) ****

For her second feature film director Jennifer Kent presents a grim and violent Australian period piece focusing on a young woman who, reluctantly teaming up with an Aboriginal tracker, seeks revenge for crimes against her family. Despite receiving many offers to direct other scripts and even being in talks to direct Wonder Woman (2017), Kent instead chose to and/or ended up making The Nightingale (2018).

Personally, having been burnt out on superhero stuff for quite a while now (I don't bother with them anymore), I'm glad that this ended up being her next film. The Nightingale is original, it's not a remake, sequel or part of a franchise, it's based in reality, it has two exceptional lead performances by Aisling Franciosi and Baykali Ganambarr, and it has a voice and vision. The film certainly isn't for everyone, given the difficult and visceral nature of particular sequences. But, while I liked Kent's first film, The Babadook (2014), I found The Nightingale to be a stronger film and one that will be more rewarding on revisits. I sincerely hope that Kent will continue to make strong films in genres that I care about and I look forward to her future work.

Comments