The Psychic (Sette Note In Nero) (1977) ***

I've seen The Psychic (Sette Note In Nero) (1977) four times now, and as much as I appreciate the technical craft and as much as I like Lucio Fulci, I've always found this film a bit boring. It takes elements of Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now (1973) (review) and creates a solid murder mystery with a strong denouement that borrows from Edgar Allan Poe, but it takes too long to get there and a lot of what happens leading up to it isn't particularly engaging. Still, it's undoubtedly a very well-shot giallo (thanks to Sergio Salvati) with a haunting and memorable piano theme by Franco BixioFabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera (which Quentin Tarantino saw fit to reuse in 2003's Kill Bill: Vol. 1).

You can find my Lucio Fulci Feature Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Giallo Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments