Scream Blacula Scream (1973) ***

Scream Blacula Scream (1973) is neither a better nor worse film than its predecessor Blacula (1972) (my review here). There's no deep characterization nor much added to the lore of the titular antihero, outside of his being resurrected via voodoo (which plays a large role in the film).

I must admit, I was hoping for a Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) style fate for Pam Grier, but her presence is nonetheless one of the film's strongest aspects. Another highlight is William Marshall's proclamation of "The name…is BLACULA!" (I wonder if this influenced John Carpenter to write similar dialogue for Kurt Russell in Escape From New York (1981) (my review here)).

While the production values are about the same as the first film, SBS has a more tragic tone that seems to be emphasized in particular during the traumatic finale, which Grier really sells, and which gives the film an extra bit of pathos.


Comments