Jaws (1975) ****1/2

What do you say about the film that basically invented the blockbuster, that made Steven Spielberg and John Williams household names, that made people afraid to go in the ocean, that was the highest-grossing film of all time (until Star Wars dethroned it two years later)—beloved by millions, the favorite film of many, quoted to this day—that has had every aspect of its production and success written about numerous times?

I'll just say that while I do love Jaws (1975) and have continuously enjoyed it, it's not quite the all-timer for me as it is for many. Part of the reason for that I think is that I didn't see the film until my twenties. Had I been exposed to it at a younger age and grown up with it as a child, I could absolutely see it being more impactful. I've also always found it strange how it ends up on pretty much every top "horror" film list. I understand it, to an extent. There's no denying that there are horrific elements but I've never found the film scary. It's more humorous than anything and especially in the second half, it basically just becomes an adventure movie. It could be my age and the fact that I saw Jurassic Park (1993) in theaters (numerous times), but I've always found that film to be a more successful blend of similar elements/tropes, resulting in a more visceral filmgoing experience.

I love the characters, I greatly enjoy the dialogue, but I do think the film is a tad long, with a noticeable tonal shift around the midway mark. Every time I attempt to rate Jaws I flip flop between giving it a 4 star rating as opposed to 4 1/2, but I always end up settling on the latter, more because of what Spielberg accomplished than anything. I appreciate his establishment of director trademarks (which were better utilized in his films that followed). I recognize the historical significance of Jaws, the influence it has (including the sequels and rip-offs it spawned), and what this particular film represents to those that consider it perfect.

You can find my Steven Spielberg Feature Films Ranked list here.




 Quint: Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go.

Hooper: I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch.

Hooper: This was no boat accident.



Brody: "Slow ahead." I can go slow ahead. Come on down here and chum some of this shit.

Bigger boat, anyone? 

Quint: And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes.


Brody: You're certifiable, Quint! You know that?? You're certifiable!


Brody: Smile, you son of a BITCH.

Select screencaps courtesy of Filmgrab

Comments