Scream (1996) *** [Scream Double Feature Pt. 1]

I was very much the target demographic of Wes Craven's Scream, a film which I saw numerous times in the theater when it was released in 1996. I loved horror films, I loved a few of Craven's films, and I was 16.

At the time, Scream was welcomed and highly lauded due to its self-awareness (no one used the word "meta" back then), its satirical nature, and because it breathed life into a stagnating genre. Even as it poked fun at horror/slasher films, it clearly still had a love for them and their audience. Kevin Williamson's script felt incredibly clever and the film was unbelievably entertaining. But removed from the zeitgeist, in 2020, Scream just isn't the classic for me that I know it is for many.

I get why people love Scream so much and I do still think it is a good film (with one of the better cold opens ever), but I can't help but be put off by the overacting, so-so direction, and a runtime that is a tad too long. That said, I still find bits funny, I can't help but enjoy the Dewey/Gale romance, and Rose McGowan is perfectly cast (and *SPOILER* gets the best death). Scream is a fun way to kill (sorry, had to) time every now and then.

You can find my Wes Craven Feature Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Scream Franchise Films Ranked list here.

Comments