Shutter Island (2010) ****

The last time I watched Shutter Island (2010), Scorsese's adaptation of Dennis Lehane's 2003 novel (which I still haven't got around to reading), in 2011 (my second viewing; that review here), I mentioned how many viewers have complained that the twist is too obvious, but that I appreciate the unraveling of the mystery more than the reveal itself. The former is true but the latter still holds true as well.

There's an undercurrent of horror in SI that is the closest Marty has come to the genre since his 1991 version of Cape Fear (my review here). Not all of it works but a few scenes are definitely unnerving. Mostly though, there is a profound sadness and sense of loss infused in this film. The use of Max Richter's "On The Nature Of Daylight" (which I've said before is one of the most achingly beautiful and melancholic songs ever written) only deepens this. The soundtrack consists primarily of modern classical pieces that truly serve to heighten the tension, sorrow, and menace present throughout the film (and also works as a first class listening experience on its own).

Some have criticized the look of much of the green screen work in the movie, but personally it reminds me of Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959) (which this film has a few things in common with), so it doesn't bother me. Truth be told, I actually enjoy the artifice of it (the film is set in 1954 after all). Not to mention the dream sequences are exquisitely shot. In fact, all of the cinematography by the great Robert Richardson is excellent in SI (and looking absolutely stunning on the UHD release), as are the costumes and the production design.

Leo lays the New England accent on a bit thick at times but he gives a terrific performance, totally immersing himself in his role. All the supporting players (so many good name actors) are also fantastic. While it's far from perfect, Shutter Island is a moving film that continues to intrigue me on repeat viewings.

You can find my Martin Scorsese Feature Films Ranked list here.
 

Comments