Jay And Silent Bob Reboot (2019) ** [J&SB Double Feature Pt. 2]

Oof. Jay And Silent Bob Reboot (2019) started out pretty decent and I was digging the first maybe twenty minutes or so. As soon as Harley Quinn Smith showed up it took a nosedive (she really is not a good actor and the film relies far too heavily on her to drive the story). The film as a whole is not terribly funny, it's obnoxiously meta, and it tries way, way too hard to be current with all the woke characters and dialogue (something I honestly think won't age well at all). 

While I can appreciate Smith trying to make Jay (Jason Mewes) a bit more conscientious and less "bro-y," he just feels flat here. And Smith himself as Silent Bob (and as himself) is insufferable in both roles. Everything just feels really forced. There are a few scenes that tug at the heartstrings but overall J&SBSB is far too "heartfelt" and safe. 

I'm not sure if this was a letdown exactly, as I wasn't expecting much, but it was definitely worse than I expected, and it's easily my least favorite Smith film.

You can find my Kevin Smith Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments