The Revenant (2015) ****

With The Revenant (2015), Alejandro González Iñárritu channels Terrence Malick but leaves most of the poetry and heart at the door and replaces it with carnage. The film is basically a 2 1/2 hour endurance test (particularly for lead Leonardo DiCaprio, I can imagine) but a technically incredible, beautifully shot, and sumptuously scored one. The film continues to remind me of The New World (2005), which cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki also shot, and I absolutely love the minimal score by Ryuichi Sakamoto

This was my third time viewing the film and the first time in 4K, so it was an extra treat to see it looking the best I've seen, especially because of all the gorgeous landscapes. I've written before that I felt a bit disconnected from the film, despite the many visceral and tense moments. I suppose that's changed slightly and my appreciation for the film grows just a bit more each time I see it. The Revenant is a moody, violent, and tragic film—one not without flaws, but an impressive achievement for all involved.

You can find my Alejandro González Iñárritu Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments