Evil Under The Sun (1982) ***1/2

The last of the four John Brabourne and Richard Goodwin-produced Agatha's Christie adaptations, Evil Under The Sun (1982) saw frequent Bond director Guy Hamilton returning to deliver a stronger film than both 1980's The Mirror Crack'd (which he also directed) (my review here) and Death On The Nile (1978) (my review here). Though not quite as good as Murder On The Orient Express (1974) (my review here), which had the benefit of the best director (Sidney Lumet) and (in my opinion) the best Hercule Poirot on film (Albert Finney), EUTS is undoubtedly my second favorite of the four Brabourne/Goodwin Christie films. 

I liked Peter Ustinov as Poirot more this time around than in DOTN and Hamilton's direction is better. The locations, production design and costumes are all simply wonderful. The ensemble is a joy. Aside from Ustinov, a number of actors from previous Brabourne/Goodwin Christie outings return as different characters—Colin Blakely (who was in MOTOE), Jane Birkin (DOTN), Maggie Smith (who starred in both DOTN and the 1976 whodunit spoof Murder By Death (my review here)) and Dennis Quilley (MOTOE).

I've read several of Christie's Poirot books but haven't read the 1941 source novel for EUTS as of yet. After greatly enjoying this adaptation, I must make it a point to do so.

You can find my Guy Hamilton Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments