Avanti! (1972) ****

For some reason when I sat down for this viewing of Avanti! (1972), I thought that I hadn't seen the film before. As it began to play, it all felt very familiar and then I realized (and confirmed via my log) that I had watched the film back in 2009. Once that was established and the familiarity set in, I recalled really enjoying it and this was confirmed by the end of "Take 2". 

Billy Wilder's infidelity comedy, while a bit outdated in some regards, is a really wonderful late era film from the director. Despite the runtime being just under 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't feel long and it's constantly pleasing throughout. Jack Lemmon plays a jerk who you really end up warming up to and Juliet Mills is just sweet, beautiful and an absolute joy. The two have a great chemistry. Clive Revill as hotel manager Carlo Carlucci is simply perfection. 

Avanti! playfully jabs at stereotypes and has some good zingers. It's not a laugh riot however, more of a charmer, but I'll not forget that I've seen it now, and I will definitely be watching it again someday.

You can find my Billy Wilder Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Top 20 Directors list here.

Comments