The Legend Of Drunken Master - English Dub (1994) ****

The Legend Of Drunken Master (aka Drunken Master II) (1994) was Jackie Chan's first traditional style martial arts film since 1983's Fearless Hyena 2 and his last film before mainstream success in America with 1995's Rumble In The Bronx, which I saw when it hit US theaters in 1996, whereupon the film (and Chan) became a worldwide phenomenon.

DMII is a wild ride. Chock-full of incredible, acrobatic fights, jaw-dropping stunts and choreography, and plenty of goofy humor—it's immensely entertaining and smile-inducing. Quite literally a live-action cartoon, it's got over the top villains, gravity-defying action, and, my favorite, alcohol as Chan's character's equivalent of spinach to Popeye.

I personally wouldn't have chosen to watch the English dubbed version but since I loved the film I plan on picking up the Blu-ray that Warner Archive released in 2021, which includes the original Cantonese audio, so that'll be my go-to the next time I watch it.

Comments