Warren Zanes "Petty: The Biography" (2015) ****1/2

I was late to the game reading Warren Zanes' Petty: The Biography but I'm incredibly grateful that he was able to release the book before Petty's untimely death earlier this year (I'm also grateful that I got to see Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers live in 2002). After Petty's death a couple of months ago (a celebrity passing that affected me as much as David Bowie's), I decided it was time I finally picked up this book to learn more about the man and band whose songs I grew up with and love. If you're a fan, this book is pure gold - no whitewashing, just honest interviews and the true story of the man and band that I always think of first when it comes to American rock 'n' roll. I only wish it were longer and even more in depth because I couldn't get enough.

Comments