Army Of Darkness - Director's Cut (1992) ****

While I prefer the Theatrical Version overall (and prefer the first two films for their darker tone), any way you watch it, Army Of Darkness (1992) is a cult classic—fun, funny, and filled with zingers.

The Director's Cut is the longest version of the four official cuts (comparison here), but I lean toward the Theatrical for the tighter editing and a certain line of dialogue (although there are some bits only in the Director's and International Cuts that are cool). Some of the f/x in the Director's Cut have not aged well at all either. As far as the endings go, I like both the "happy" and "apocalyptic" ones for different reasons.

Other random thoughts: I always forget that Bill Moseley is in this film and I don't think I ever noticed the skeleton holding Ted Raimi's severed head before! While AOD doesn't have the same impact on me that it did when I was a teenager, it's still a good time, and it was enjoyable to see this film with a sizable fan audience, quoting along to the memorable dialogue. "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

You can find my Sam Raimi Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments