The World's End (2013) ***

The World's End (2013) is a fun film. I've seen it three times now. It's not in the same league as Shaun Of The Dead (2004) (review) or Hot Fuzz (2007) (review), but still quite enjoyable. I like seeing all the Spaced (1999–2001) alumni make their appearances (particularly Mark Heap), but the cameos themselves aren't really memorable. The first hour of the film is quite hilarious and brilliant (on par with most of what Edgar Wright has done), but after that it begins to lose me every time and by the end I flat-out don't like it. Which is a shame because I think the film works better when it's grounded in reality and just a clever comedy. When it goes sci-fi, the overblown "superhero" nature and slightly forced drama in the finale ultimately hurts it. I appreciate the choreography of the fight scenes, but I don't like the shaky camerawork at all. There are plenty of funny and inventive moments, but The World's End is the least of the "Three Flavours Cornetto" films by a Golden Mile.

You can find my Edgar Wright Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments