The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) ***

Upon a rewatch I liked The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) more than the first time I viewed it. I still think Polanski's quasi-sex comedy is overlong, scenes drag on longer than necessary, the humor is too broad and the tone is uneven. But I also still think the production design (artifice and all), cinematography and score are all excellent (looking better than ever via Warner Archive's 2019 Blu-ray). For a more detailed analysis, I recommend listening to the Movie Matters Podcast Halloween Special VII (Fangsgiving) episode, where I guested with co-founders Michael Mackenzie and Lee Howard, here. Much of what we discussed in that 2016 episode holds true but I have a little bit more appreciation for it now.

You can find my Roman Polanski Feature Films Ranked list here.

Comments