Nope (2022) ***

Jordan Peele's latest, Nope (2022), plays in the same willfully obtuse sandbox as David Lynch, only this attempt at an art film wrapped in a blockbuster shell never quite congealed for this viewer. There are lots of ideas thrown onscreen, but the film is overlong and repetitive. There’s some wonky camerawork and editing, and the characters feel underdeveloped. I wasn’t into a lot of the line delivery, there's too much of the creature, I couldn't get into the creature design, and only a few scenes had palpable tension. 

Nope felt like another attempt at blending modern with that ‘80s Spielberg magic but the sense of wonder was missing. All that said, I liked the score, Daniel Kaluuya was mostly very good, and casting Keith David as his dad was inspired (although he had far too little screen time). I didn't love Peele's sophomore film Us (2019) (review) either, but I still think he's an interesting (if overhyped) filmmaker that I hope will make more personal, smaller-scale films (or at least ones that feel more cohesive) in the vein of Get Out (2017) (review).


Comments