Pinocchio (2022) ***

Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson's Pinocchio (2022) is a good film but I found it to be overlong and the songs did nothing for me (everything sounded auto-tuned and I wish it wasn’t a half-musical). Most of the humor fell flat for me as well. The celebrity voice actors do good work, though I found Ron Perlman’s delivery didn’t fit his character all that well and the inconsistency regarding accents is odd. I enjoyed the darker aspects of the film but I wish it was weirder and even darker, the way that del Toro's other films are. I appreciate the character designs (a deciding factor for whether I’ll even approach an animated film). But mostly I just love stop-motion and the artistry on display here (though the way everything is finished in post-production it often just ends up looking like CGI anyway).






Comments