St. Vincent "Masseduction" (2017) ****

While overall I definitely prefer the more organic Annie Clark and it probably would have been impossible to top her last self-titled album (my thoughts on that one here), Masseduction (2017) is still a great LP.

Annie seems to be channeling a bit of a Tori Amos/Fiona Apple vibe on this latest go-around, intentionally or not. The slick production doesn't always work for me, but on certain tracks it fits like a glove. "Los Ageless" is an incredibly catchy single and I love that the guitar motif from that song is introduced on piano on the track preceding ("Sugarboy").

As always, she remains interesting and unique. Being that I equate her to a modern day Bowie, I will always be on board with her, even if she has some albums I like less or outright flops. Here's hoping that she stays vital.

Comments