Blade Runner 2049 (2017) ****1/2

With Blade Runner 2049 (2017), Denis Villeneuve manages to accomplish the typically impossible task of honoring and referencing the film that came before it whilst creating his own strikingly beautiful and original film (with a little help from a brilliant man named Roger Deakins).

The visuals are absolutely stunning, the sound design is incredible (so worth seeing in IMAX), the performances were all strong, and the f/x were seamless. A truly satisfying and moving cinema experience.

I do think that it's necessary to have seen Blade Runner to get the most out of 2049 but if you see this film and don't like it, you can simply ignore it. It operates on its own playing field and doesn't tarnish the 1982 film in any way. I actually found that 2049 explores its themes on a deeper level than Blade Runner did, without destroying any mystery. I hate to say it, but I'm glad that Ridley Scott merely executive produced this one and didn't direct.

I truly believe that this is Villeneuve's best film yet and will go down as a future classic, worthy of the original. My favorite film of the year so far. I'm still jittering with excitement.

Comments