Deep Red - Export Version (1975) ****1/2

The last time that I watched Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) (1975), in 2019, I watched the "Original Version" (127 mins, sometimes called the Director's Cut). I've mentioned in previous reviews that I prefer the "Export Version" (105 mins, sometimes called the Theatrical Cut). I've also previously mentioned that I find the Original Version overlong. For this viewer that version drags a bit. Previously I've stated that I didn't feel that the scenes that were dropped from the Export Version add any true substance to the film. 

Upon closer inspection, that's not 100% true. Really though, it's primarily a few excised or shortened scenes between David Hemming and Daria Nicolodi that I wish were present in the Export Version. I still think it's annoying that many of the additional scenes in the Original Version are only available in Italian—it's very jarring when the film bounces back and forth between English and Italian, particularly during dialogue by the same character in a single scene.

Deep Red holds up well on repeat viewings, due in large part to Goblin's fantastic and memorable score and a strong lead role from Hemmings. Deep Red also marks the first time that Dario Argento had a decent female lead character, thanks to Nicolodi, who holds her own and has good chemistry with Hemmings (and some very humorous scenes, particularly in their unexpurgated form in the Original Version). Daria was romantically involved with Dario at the time of filming (if I'm not mistaken Asia was conceived not long after filming wrapped) and would greatly influence his future works.

This film has always been my favorite giallo and I've written before that it ties for me as Argento's best film. Deep Red and Suspiria (1977) (my review here) are just so different from each other that it's difficult to compare them. Both films are in my Top 100 Films list. I am thrilled to own Deep Red on 4K UHD from Arrow Video, the definitive home video presentation of the film.

You can find my Dario Argento Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Giallo Feature Films Ranked list here.

You can find my Top 20 Directors list here.

Comments