Bones And All (2022) ***1/2

It's funny, I very recently watched Cannibal Ferox (1981) and remarked in my review how I don't like cannibal films. But I knew going into Luca Guadagnino’s Bones And All (2022) that it wouldn't be anything like the cycle of cannibal films that were predominantly made by Italians in the 1970s and '80s. No, B&A is a romantic road movie cannibal film. 

The three lead performances are mostly excellent and the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is mostly very strong (though I found the song that closes the film a bit schmaltzy) but some of the editing choices left a bit to be desired (particularly the attempt at heightening tension via sound effects and loud noises that I didn't think was necessary). 

The film didn't quite grab me all the way. Some of the beats just felt too familiar or alternately perplexing. Much in the way that my rewatch of Guadagnino's 2018 Suspiria (review) left me feeling, B&A is just shy of being something truly great but it's still a strong film.

Recommended for fans of Raw (2016),  Let The Right One In (2008), and Paris, Texas (1984) (review).

Comments